Merthyr Tydfil Golf Club is a Mountain Top course with fantastic views all around. The course straddles the Brecon Beacons National Park with 13 of the holes within the park boundary and the other 5 holes and clubhouse within Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council.
The 18 holes run in various directions and you can find yourself playing downwind, upwind and into cross winds during the same round. The terrain has similarities to links/heathland courses and the course plays considerably longer than the card length of 5622 yards due to a lack of run on our peat dominated fairways. It is a good test for all categories of golfer and the main requirement is accuracy from the tee.
Merthyr Tydfil Golf Club was formed on the 20th November 1909 when ten local businessmen met at the Bush Hotel, Merthyr Tydfil. They decided to call the club "Cilsanws Golf Club (Cefn Coed)". At the same time they decided to engage Mr Bradbeer, the professional at Pontypridd Golf Club, for a fee of 1 guinea to meet them on Cilsanws mountain to discuss the designing and construction of the course.
On the advice of Mr Bradbeer a Mr Helland from Burnham was engaged as the professional at the club at the rate of 25 shillings per week. The course was subsequently constructed by Mr Helland and two labourers under the instructions of the committee.
The original course consisted of ten holes with holes 1 & 2 being played once and a loop of 8 holes being played twice to constitute the 18 holes. The 18th green at this time was some 800 yards from the clubhouse.
In the late 1970's two additional holes were added to bring the 18th green closer to the clubhouse and in 1997 the course was extended to 18 holes. This feat was only achieved after a 3 year battle with planning officers because they were reluctant to allow planning consent for golf purposes on common land within the Brecon Beacons National Park. The creation of the 18 hole course involved the construction of 7 new holes and the alteration of 2 existing holes. The new layout was designed by the secretary, Mr Viv Price and former Captain, Mr Richard Mathias.
The first Captain of the club was Mr T Aneurin Rees, the then Town Clerk of Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council. He must have been an outstanding sportsman because apart from golf he played in the first rugby international between Wales and England at Blackheath in February 1881 and also played cricket for the MCC.
Over the years the club has had a number of name changes and today the official name is Merthyr Tydfil Golf Club although it is still widely known (especially to locals) as Cilsanws because of it's location on Cilsanws mountain.
Merthyr Tydfil Golf Club Limited
Cloth Hall Lane